Supporting Mental Health
Two-day training providing your team with the practical tools and confidence to support themselves and their colleagues
A healthy relationship between team members is essential for wellbeing, and has a direct effect on productivity, motivation, and engagement across your organisation.
Our qualified trainers teach practical skills, along with a framework for effective communication. This will enable you and your team to feel confident to have open and productive conversations with each other.
According to HSE, poor mental health is now the #1 reason people miss work. We want to help you address this.
Supporting Mental Health will also:
- Provide a clear organising idea and language for understanding and talking about mental health within your organisation
- Explain how people think and communicate when they are experiencing strong emotions
- Develop communication skills to support wellbeing and recovery
- Learn a communication framework to structure support with confidence
- Help release the burden of thinking you need to know all the answers
- Help your team to understand that their role is to facilitate the way forward for their colleagues, not to solve their challenges
- Build on existing skills and experience so people can confidently support others and reach outcomes for challenging situations
- Encourage colleagues to build on their own skills and experience
The knowledge and skills gained from attending this course give people the confidence they need to handle conversations around mental health face-to-face, online or over the phone.
This training is ideal for:
- Leadership teams
- Line managers
- People supporting others at work
- Roles that support service users
- People who have completed Mental Health First Aid and want to learn more
- People who want to learn how to support others around them, either at work or at home
Supporting Mental Health covers:
- The Emotional Needs & Resources approach to mental health
- Effective communication skills
- How to stay clear-headed and calm
- Practicing taking the heat out of a conversation
- How to reduce stress and distress
- How to work safely and effectively with the RIGAAR communication framework
- How to agree goals and develop successful strategies for change
- Practical application of the learning through relevant case studies
The Supporting Mental Health training will provide your colleagues with the practical tools to help effective communications with members of their team. The benefits also extend to communication with friends, family and the general public – improving all-round wellbeing.
Our most in-depth course, The Comprehensive Toolkit, may be more suitable if you or your colleagues:
- Regularly work with highly distressed people
- Regularly work with those with complex needs
- Support wider teams in an HR or leadership role
Go beyond your training
Once you have completed Supporting Mental Health, you will be invited to join our Effective Practitioner Network.
Along with providing regular updates and opportunities to network with other attendees, you’ll also be invited to join one free follow-up Mastering Skills session, to help instil and refresh what you’ve learned. Further sessions cost just £40 per person.
I thought the training was excellent. Karys was very knowledgeable, interesting and delivered the session brilliantly, and it was great there was another person to support with any IT issues. The course content was very good and well written, with interesting activities and handouts which will prove to be very useful. I came away feeling that I had gained a better knowledge and understanding of mental health, its prevalence and the support available to those affected.
We had a fascinating two days working as a team on scenarios, whilst learning the basic principles of The Mental Health Continuum. Thank you for organising this brilliant course and inspiring us to think differently!
This course has been carefully and considerately planned to a very high standard, evident in the materials and delivery.
The time invested in the Supporting Mental Health course was absolutely worth it. The trainer, Penny, and the team were exemplary – positive, thoughtful and engaging.
I’ve grown in confidence in being more aware of ways to encourage better conversations within my workplace with colleagues, that will help prevent mental ill health occurring in the first place.
We both hugely benefitted from this course and we will be applying it to our everyday approach – not only within our workplace roles, but also our lives outside of work.
We are so grateful to have had the opportunity to learn from the experts, who provided valuable insights and practical tools to help us better understand and manage mental health issues, as well as teach us the importance of sleep!
It has helped me support my family and my co-workers. I’ve learned so much and the lovely people who deliver the training really make it a positive experience. Thank you so much.
We have implemented The Essentials staff sessions and Supporting Mental Health line manager session. Our staff have already expressed how valuable the training sessions have been, with many proclaiming it is the best training they have ever been on.
We engaged Suffolk Mind to deliver a range of 6 workshops for my managers on Supporting Mental Health, as well as The Essentials session for all staff. I would highly recommend The Mental Health Toolkit to all organisations.
Book Supporting Mental Health
Select as many places as you need for you and your team on one of our open online courses. Alternatively, you can choose the ‘Whole group session’ option to book an exclusive course for your team.
If you would prefer face to face delivery of this course, please contact us to discuss.
Speak to us today